Home / Blog / Fires and Explosions / Trapped fabric causes fire in a Racine laundromat

Trapped fabric causes fire in a Racine laundromat

Posted on August 13, 2016 12:47 pm under Fires and Explosions

A fire was caused by an industrial ironing machine in an Imperial Laundry in Racine early Saturday morning, July 23. The machine did sustain damage, but fortunately, the building seems untouched by the fire.

Firefighters determined that the fire was caused by fabric that had been caught between two large, heated rollers on the machine. The high temperatures caused the fabric to catch fire, resulting in other nearby items to ignite. Employees at the laundromat attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher, unsuccessfully, and the fire department was called. The machine is valued at $500,000, but the extent of the damage to the machine is still unknown.

Fire hazards can be found almost anywhere. If flammable material is left near heat, sparks, or other items that can start a flame, the risk of fire increases dramatically. If you lost personal items or were injured in a fire caused by another person’s negligence, contact the fire and explosion attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (414) 271-0900 for information about your legal options.