Home / Blog / Premises Liability / Total number of people affected by carbon monoxide at a wedding climbs to 130

Total number of people affected by carbon monoxide at a wedding climbs to 130

Posted on August 25, 2016 2:03 pm under Premises Liability

The Wisconsin Department of Human Resources released a report that on Friday, August 12, nearly 130 people were seen at local hospitals for possible to serious carbon monoxide poisoning.

Crews responded just before noon to the venue where one person had fainted during a wedding. Other guests approached the response teams to let them know that they were concerned about an indoor generator and the odd smell it was emitting. Within minutes of the first case, more people at the venue began to complain about their own symptoms, prompting officials to test the air with handheld monitors. The air had a high content of carbon monoxide.

Additional crews were called to evacuate the remaining guests and the faulty generator was moved outside. A Madison Metro bus was called in for emergency support for any wedding guests that felt ill and a nearby hospital, UW Hospital East, prepared their Emergency Room bay to help those that were the worst affected.

If you’ve fallen ill to poor air quality, wet floors, or lead paint ingestion, you may be able to place responsibility on the owner or manager of that property. We believe at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® that an owner has an obligation to their guests to keep them healthy while on their property. Contact us at (414) 271-0900 today.