Heading out for a day on the lake is one of the best ways to beat the summer heat in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, lakes can also be accident sites when boaters are negligent. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources reports that in a five-year period, from 2012 to 2016, there was an annual average of 106 accidents on Wisconsin lakes.
Boating accidents can leave victims with painful, lasting medical problems and high hospital bills. Such accidents can be caused by the boat owner’s negligence. For example, boating accidents can occur when the:
- Operator is too inexperienced or young
- Operator is intoxicated due to alcohol or drug use
- Operator is not paying attention
- Operator is failing to follow boating laws and regulations
- Boat does not include required safety equipment such as regulated lights, horns, and life preservers
- Operator is speeding
- Operator is creating dangerous wakes in “no wake” areas
Driving a boat demands a level of responsibility that ensures the safety of all individuals in the surrounding area including passengers, swimmers, people in other boats, and people enjoying watersports. Negligence can result in dangerous accidents that leave victims severely injured.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Due to the serious nature of these accidents and the heavy burden of responsibility carried by boat operators, the personal injury lawyers at Habush Habush & Rottier are ready to fight for you. Please contact our legal team at 800-2-HABUSH (800-242-2874) to talk to a lawyer about your experience.