Every holiday season, many families around the country celebrate Christmas by putting up a tree. Many families choose an actual evergreen tree for their home, while some opt for the cleaner, more allergy-friendly plastic trees. Regardless of what your family prefers, both natural and plastic trees pose fire hazards. By taking caution with the placement and decoration of your tree, you can avoid a fire.
In the past, before the widespread availability of electricity, it was common to decorate Christmas trees with candles. Of course at the time these were natural trees, which carry a serious risk of fire when they dry. As a result, unattended candles on a tree can easily lead to an out-of-control fire. Due to these risks, most people now choose to put electric lights in their trees. These have a number of safety advantages, of course, but damage to the wires can lead to sparks and fire.
It is important to keep your tree away from heat sources like space heaters. In particular, natural trees whose needles have begun to dry out can easily catch fire when heated. As with all devices that use electricity, be very sure not to let your Christmas lights near water. Your lights making contact with water can lead to electrocution, but it can also cause sparks and fire. Pets can also pose a risk, either by knocking the tree over or by biting through the wires.
Taking these steps and keeping an eye on your tree can greatly reduce the risk of fire or other injuries resulting from your tree. If you took precautions, but you or someone you love was injured, it is possible that the manufacturer of your decorations is at fault. The Milwaukee personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® can help you. To discuss your case with an experienced personal injury lawyer, contact us today at (414) 271-0900.