Home / Articles / Mercury Poisoning

Mercury Poisoning

People can get poisoned in a variety of ways. They may somehow consume excessive amounts of pen ink through their mouth. They may eat bad, contaminated food and suffer food poisoning. They may become exposed to lead through contact with paint. They may inhale gasoline fumes. These are all ways by which someone can become poisoned. Another, rather ignored, means by which someone can become poisoned is through exposure to mercury. Mercury poisoning is a serious thing and needs to be treated immediately.

The effects of mercury poisoning vary but can be fatally serious. Depending on the type of mercury one is exposed to and how one is exposed to it, such as through food, through inhalation, or through touch, the symptoms can be any of the following:

  • Vomiting
  • Itching, scratching, and burning
  • Cough
  • Numbness
  • Seizures
  • Trouble walking
  • Excessive shaking
  • Hair, teeth, and nail loss
  • High blood pressure

The above symptoms are only a partial list. People who are exposed to mercury might suffer different symptoms that are less or more severe than some of the ones listed above.

There are various sources from which people can be exposed to mercury. Some, but by no means all, sources include:

  • Consumption of salmon
  • Fumes from burning coals
  • Fluorescent light bulbs
  • Electrical switches
  • Glass thermometers

Mercury poisoning is a serious offense. Many times, when people are exposed to mercury it is not their fault but it is the result of someone else’s negligence.

A Milwaukee Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help

If you have been exposed to mercury, contact the Milwaukee personal injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® by calling (414) 271-0900.