Magnets are often used in an educational setting in order to teach children about magnetic force fields, poles, and electromagnetism. However, when not used in a controlled environment, magnets can prove hazardous and even deadly if swallowed. Thus, it may come as no surprise that the Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled more than 10 million toys that contain small magnets.
While parents and guardians are responsible for keeping small, swallowable objects out of their children’s reach, they cannot predict when dangerous magnets will fall out of toys and into the grasp of young children. If your child has been harmed by a hazardous toy, you may be eligible for financial compensation under product liability laws. Contact a Milwaukee child injury attorney from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today at (414) 271-0900 to discuss your legal options.
A magnet’s size does not always correlate with its strength. The magnets that are dangerous to children are not refrigerator magnets, but instead are often very small, only about 1/8th of an inch wide. This is why they are easy for a young child to swallow.
When a child ingests a single magnet, it often passes through his or her system with no injury. However, multiple magnets can join together and cause intestinal blockages. If they pass through the digestive system without immediately joining, they can become attracted to each other through the walls of the intestine. This can cause intestinal perforations, which in turn may cause hemorrhaging.
Hemorrhaging and blockages can potentially lead to circulatory shock, which can be fatal if it is not treated in time. Immediate treatment and even surgery may be required to prevent tragic consequences.
If your precious child has suffered from a defective toy, such as one with poorly attached and powerful magnets, you should contact the experienced Milwaukee personal injury lawyers from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at (414) 271-0900 for more information regarding your case.