Home / Blog / Premises Liability / Possible signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning

Possible signs and symptoms of mercury poisoning

Posted on November 17, 2014 2:47 pm under Premises Liability

Mercury is a naturally-occurring metallic element that takes the form of liquid at standard temperature and condition. Its unique physical and chemical characteristics have made it very useful in the fields of medicine, cosmetics, and electronics. However, when absorbed by the body, mercury may lead to a myriad of health conditions that can potentially be fatal when left untreated.

Exposure to mercury affects the nervous system, which may result in compromised sensory and cognitive functions, such as emotional outbursts, disturbances in sensations, and abnormal nerve reactions. Other signs and symptoms associated with a dangerously high level of mercury in the body may include decreased peripheral vision, skin rashes, muscle weakness, and lack of coordination.

Unfortunately, exposure to high levels of mercury could be a result of a property owner’s negligence and recklessness in ensuring a mercury-safe establishment. To learn if you are qualified to file for legal action against the party responsible, consult with our team of personal injury lawyers at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®. Call our Appleton office at (414) 271-0900 today.