Home / Blog / Premises Liability / Mercury toxicity management and treatment

Mercury toxicity management and treatment

Posted on November 20, 2014 4:32 pm under Premises Liability

Mercury is a highly toxic metallic element that can accumulate along the food chain for future consumers. Although a majority of food poisoning cases have been associated with fish consumption, several instances of mercury toxicity have been documented in premises where the risks of mercury spills and releases are high. These places may include nursing homes, hospitals, and laboratories.

During the first signs of mercury toxicity, it is important to move the patient away from the exposure area. Mercury inhalation may sometimes require bronchodilators or intubation to aid in proper breathing. It is also important to note that ingesting mercury should never be treated with vomit-inducing drugs, as it may further expose the tissues of the upper gastrointestinal tract to the toxin. To get rid of the ingested mercury, doctors may suggest using activated charcoal to absorb and bind the mercury along the gastrointestinal tract in order to release it through defecation.

If you have incurred medical and financial harm after being exposed to mercury in someone else’s property in Madison, a lawyer at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® might be able to help you file a lawsuit against the party responsible. Call us at (414) 271-0900 to better understand your legal options.