Home / Blog / Premises Liability / Diagnosing lead toxicity

Diagnosing lead toxicity

Posted on November 21, 2014 11:47 am under Premises Liability

Lead is a metallic element that can be poisonous even in small amounts. Occupants of older houses with walls coated in lead-based paints are at higher risk of lead toxicity. Furthermore, individuals who drink tap water from pipes soldered with lead are also at risk of lead exposure. Unfortunately, lead toxicity could have been avoided if the property owner had not failed to make sure that his property was free from any harmful materials, including lead.

Doctors diagnose lead toxicity through a blood lead test. Levels of lead in the blood are measured in micrograms per deciliter (mcg/dL). A slightly high level of lead in the blood means you should have your blood tested regularly. Treatment is recommended if the level of lead is too high (60 mcg/dL or higher for adults, 45 mcg/dL or higher for children).

If your or your child’s diagnosis of lead toxicity has been the result someone else’s negligence, a lawyer at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® might be able to help you file a lawsuit against the property owner or manager involved. Call our Milwaukee office at (414) 271-0900 for a free assessment of your case today.