Home / Blog / Product Liability / Defective electrical cords increase fire risk at home

Defective electrical cords increase fire risk at home

Posted on February 5, 2015 8:27 am under Product Liability

Worn-out or chewed electrical cords are among the most common causes of fires in the country. The exposed wires of an eroded electric cord may trigger fire when they come in contact with certain materials, such as rugs and carpets. As such, it is important to always check if the electric cords are in optimum condition before use.

In some cases, though, electrical cords pose fire hazard not because of poor maintenance, but because of defective manufacturing and design. In 2014, for instance, Lenovo recalled its LS-15 AC power cords after learning that the cords might overheat, posing a fire hazard. In the same year, Hewlett-Packard also recalled its Hewlett-Packard and Compaq notebook computer AC power cords due to similar issues.

Electrical cords manufactured below safety standards are dangerous. If you or someone you know has been involved in an injurious fire accident in Wisconsin, consider taking legal action by speaking with an attorney at Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®. Call us at (414) 271-0900 and learn about your options today.