Shocking statistics by the National Fire Protection Association revealed that unattended cooking is considered the leading cause of home fires in the country. The agency also stated that home fires caused by unattended cooking most commonly occur during holidays, especially during Thanksgiving, and frying is considered the type of home cooking most vulnerable to fires.
Unfortunately, unattended cooking is not the only cause of kitchen and house fires. Over the years, explosions and fires have been associated with defectively manufactured kitchen stoves and ranges. In 2011, for instance, the General Electric Company recalled its Monogram Professional Gas Rangtops with Grills after receiving six reports of explosions, some of which resulted in property damage. The following year, LG Electronics recalled its electric ranges after learning that the range may fail to turn off after being switched off, increasing the risk of explosion and fire.
At Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ®, we help Madison residents seek justice and compensation after being hurt in a house fire caused by a defective cooking device. Call us at (414) 271-0900 to learn about your legal options.