One thing you can count on living in Wisconsin is winter. As much as most people would like to just curl up on the couch when it gets cold, that usually isn’t an option and we need to venture out on the road during the season. Here are seven tips to help keep you safe while driving this winter.
- Safety First: Avoid Driving when roads are treacherous
- Clear it Before You Go: Remove ice and snow from windows, lights and mirrors
- Go Slow in Ice and Snow: Relax and take it easy
- Stay Focused: distractions can wait (put down your phone!)
- You Cruise, You Lose: Avoid cruise control in winter conditions
- Keep your distance: Stay 200 feet behind snowplows and stop safely
- Make Sure Your Car is Prepared:
- Full tank of gas
- Ice scraper
- Jumper cables
- First aid kit
- Cellphone charger
- Boots, gloves and blanket
The very best advice is to just be prepared before heading out. If you would like more information, check out the Wisconsin DOT website.