Personal Injury Lawyer in Madison, WI
Jason Knutson is a shareholder of the firm. His practice features complex litigation, such as major environmental and industrial accidents, and class action claims. He also handles cases of medical malpractice, product liability, and personal injury. Jason has had personal injury cases at every level of Wisconsin’s justice system from jury trials in county circuit courts to arguing before the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Additionally, Jason is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School where he has taught courses in trial advocacy, negotiation, legal writing, and lawyering skills.
From 2014-2018 Jason was named one of the “Top 50 attorneys in Wisconsin” and a “Top 25 attorneys in Madison” by Super Lawyers from 2014-2021. He was named Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year 2020 – Madison – Personal Injury Litigation- Plaintiffs. Due to his significant trial experience and success, Jason has been certified as a Civil Trial Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and named a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America, including the most recent edition in 2022 for his work in personal injury litigation. He also received the 2017 Dane County Bar Association Pro Bono Attorney Award for his work with the Latino Community in Dane County.
Jason is an active member in several legal associations and local community organizations, including the James E. Doyle Inns of Court, and Board of Trustees of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art. He is a past president of Woodland Montessori School and a frequent youth sports coach in the Madison area.
Jason graduated cum laude from the University of Wisconsin Law School. When not in the office or courtroom, his interests include art history, movies, and aviation.
Get in Touch
Jason Knutson’s help during what is clearly the worst time in our lives was immeasurable. Jason and Jenny from start to finish of our whole ordeal were positive. I always felt as if they had our son’s best interest at heart and that we truly were being represented in the case. I never had a doubt or ill feeling like we didn’t know what was going on and if I had a question they answered promptly. I would most genuinely say that if you need someone whom you can trust as an attorney to help you through a tough time – Jason Knutson’s your attorney!Pamela Madison
I would highly recommend Jason Knutson for a personal injury attorney. Jason is intelligent, organized, trustworthy and compassionate. He believes in what he does and it shows.
He worked diligently for over 4 years on our son’s case. He kept us informed and gave us good advice throughout the case, but never pressured us. He always allowed us to make the final decision.
During our trial, I was impressed with how Jason handled himself in court. He was very professional and “quick-witted” under some pretty stressful situations. He believed in us and fought diligently for our family, especially my son. We were very pleased with the final results.
Jason will always have a very special spot with our family. If a personal injury attorney is needed, I can’t think of anyone else I would want defending me or my family.
I would like to share the exceptional legal services that we received from Habush Habush & Rottier, and specifically their attorney Jason Knutson. Our daughter was seriously injured in a pedestrian and auto accident while attending college. A referral came from a friend who lived and was connected in the local area. The referral was from an attorney who was on the other side and represented insurance companies. They were asked who they respected from the personal injury attorney field and recommended Jason Knutson at Habush Habush & Rottier. Jason met my family in the hospital the day we had contacted him. I knew immediately that we were very fortunate for this referral. Neither my wife or I had been involved in any legal case prior to this accident. Jason came across as truly concerned and passionate about helping us through our case. He was very knowledgeable and also expressed his confidence in the different paths that our case could go. Our case had a few obstacles that changed that path, but Jason kept us informed along the way and negotiated the best possible settlement in a rather short amount of time. He also made himself available to explain some of the more complicated legal obstacles or settlement options throughout the process. We would highly recommend Jason for his legal expertise and his passion as an attorney.Rod Madison
I had been trying to work with the insurance company on my own for a while before I sought representation. To say the least I was frazzled, frustrated and tired of their insulting attempts to settle. When Jason took on my case, his knowledge and caring demeanor put me at ease. When he sensed my frustration he would take the time to explain the situation and my options, all while making me laugh. He made sure that I understood all final decisions were mine; he was just there to help guide me in the right direction. When I was feeling like there wasn’t anyone else that would help me, having a lawyer who truly cared about what was best for me and my case made all the difference in the world. Jason got my case settled out of court for almost ten times what the insurance company had originally offered me! I can’t thank him enough, he wasn’t just my lawyer he was my legal superhero!
Meet Jason J. Knutson
- 2020 Best Lawyers: Lawyer of the Year - Madison - Personal Injury Litigation- Plaintiffs
- 2013-2021 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Honoree
- 2014-2018 Top 50 Wisconsin Super Lawyers Honoree
- 2014-2021 Top 25 Madison Super Lawyers Honoree
- 2006-2012 Wisconsin Rising Star
- Fellow, Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Certified as a Civil Trial Specialist with the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2015
- Avvo 10.0 Rating
- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D. cum laude
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, B.A. Philosophy, Waller Scholarship winner
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker: American Constitution Society of Madison : Forced Arbitration and the Erosion of the Seventh Amendment
- Former Epic technical writer wins arbitration case for overtime pay
- Speaker, "What Are Keys You Need to Know About Physical Therapists in Personal Injury Cases?" Wisconsin Defense Counsel Summer Conference, August 1, 2019.
- Co-Author, “Personal Injury: When Criminal and Civil Law Intersect,” Wisconsin Lawyer. Volume 91:1. January 2018.
- 7th Circuit Getting its Crack at Arbitration Agreements,” Wisconsin Law Journal, February 17th, 2016.
- Speaker, “Automatic Meal Break Deduction Policies in Hospitals: Federal and Wisconsin Law Issues,” 2014 Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, August 2014.
- Speaker, “Auto Insurance,” Milwaukee Bar Association CLE Webinar, October 2012.
- Speaker, “How To Help Doctors Help You and Your Clients,” State Bar of Wisconsin CLE Webinar, May 2012.
- Author, “Walk in our Shoes: Why Docs Avoid Lawyers.” Wisconsin Lawyer. Volume 85:2. Feb. 2012.
- Commenter, "Writer Awarded Overtime Pay in Latest Epic Arbitration Hearing", May 18, 2021