Skip to main content


MADISON, WI – The civil case arising from an explosion that burned over 70% of a worker’s body during the Camp Randall South Endzone Renovation Project has settled in Dane County Circuit Court for $22 million. The explosion occurred in April of 2022 when an employee of the project’s general contractor lit a propane torch while Jeremy Rose, an employee of a subcontractor, was applying flammable material to the floor of a mechanical room.


Habush Habush and Rottier President Daniel Rottier, the attorney for Rose, alleged that the general contractor failed to follow industry safety standards by not requiring a “hot work permit” to be obtained before using the open flame torch. To obtain the permit, an inspection is required by a supervisor looking for hazards. According to Rottier, “For over 50 years the construction industry and insurance companies have recommended the use of hot work permits to increase worker safety.  There is a cost in human life and dollars in taking shortcuts when it comes to protecting workers.”


The jury trial in the case was scheduled to begin in March 2024 before Dane County Judge Diane Schlipper. The settlement was reached ten days before the trial was to start.

Mentions in the News

Associated Press:


Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Sports Illustrated:

Washington Post:]

Wisconsin State Journal: