Property owners have the responsibility of keeping their grounds and buildings safe for clients and visitors. However, if they do not properly maintain the premises, it can result in dangerous conditions that can lead to accidents such as slips and falls. While these may only seem like minor accidents, they can lead to serious injuries.
During the Winter months, you need to be especially careful and aware of your surroundings to help prevent a slip and fall.
Potential Causes Of Falls
Slips and falls can result from a variety of different problems. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Wet spots from leaks, cleaning, or spills
- Snowy or icy patches on walkways
- Uneven ground
- Unmarked changes with the flooring, such as stairs
- Improper lighting
- Debris in the walkways
Common Injuries From Slips and Falls
In some cases, a slip or trip and fall may only cause a small bruise or bump. However, if you land the wrong way, you can suffer from serious injuries, such as:
- Broken bones
- Head trauma
- Brain damage
- Spinal cord damage
Prevention is the key to avoid being injured in a slip and fall accident. Taking steps to keep yourself and others safe is one of the best ways you can avoid a fall in the winter.
- Make sure you are wearing proper foot gear. Boots or shoes with rubber soles help improve traction. Wearing leather-soled shoes or heels is dangerous especially if you are walking on an icy sidewalk or parking lot.
- If you can, try to avoid carrying heavy loads when walking over slippery or snow-covered areas. Your balance can be compromised if you are carrying heavy packages or bags.
- Make sure you are walking with caution in adverse conditions and not running across wet, snow-covered or icy areas.
- Always use railings, walls, or other secure objects to brace yourself when you are stepping onto icy or snowy areas. This can help avoid having your feet slip from under you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you are unsteady or think you might encounter an issue, it’s better to be on the safe side and ask for someone to help you navigate though any potential dangerous areas.
If you find yourself or a loved one in an unsafe premises slip and fall accident, a personal accident attorney at Habush Habush & Rottier can help you with your case.