Motorcycles are inherently more dangerous than cars. They have no cage for protection, no crumple zones or airbags, and no advanced safety features. Their two wheels make them very susceptible to poor road conditions such as wetness and slickness, and because of their size, other drivers can have a hard time gauging how far away they are or how fast they are going. Motorcyclists are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident than automobile drivers, and motorcycle fatalities continue to rise.
For all these reasons, motorcyclists must be especially aware of their surroundings and be willing to practice motorcycle safety every time they take to the roads. While all drivers need to be careful and conscientious while sharing the road, motorcyclists must be particularly careful. Here are a few safety tips and road hazards to keep in mind for your next ride:
how to stay safe on a MOTORCYCLE:
- Stay alert: Use your senses, especially sound and sight to watch out for things around you
- Remain visible: Wear high visibility safety riding gear, stay out of blind spots, tab your breaks, use your horn and high beams
- Keep bike maintained: Change the oil regularly, replace air filters, maintain tire pressure and tread
- Be a confident rider, not an aggressive one: Pay attention to the laws, pass only when allowed, don’t tailgate. Avoid the roads as a timid rider until you gain confidence.
- Wear proper safety gear: Wearing a full-face helmet, gloves, a jacket, safety pants, and boots can drastically reduce injuries and fatalities among motorcycle riders.
Motorcycle road Hazards to consider:
- Grass clippings: These can create a slippery surface
- Tar on the road: Tar snakes can compromise the traction since they have a different texture than asphalt. They can create a bumpy road surface, and can become softer or slicker in hot weather or when wet
- Riding in the rain: Motorcycles can be difficult to see in the rain, and the rain can create slippery surfaces
- Heat: Make sure you are hydrated while riding, and wear motorcycle jackets for hot weather
- Drunk and distracted drivers: Be alert and attentive to your surroundings, unfortunately you may not be seen if someone if driving impaired or distracted
If you’d like to learn more about how we can help, contact one of our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers today to discuss your situation.